TRCS Uniform Policy (Printable)
Dress Code (updated August 2016)
Twin Rivers Charter School has the following dress-code policy:
Students who fail to follow the policy are subject to disciplinary actions. Once the dress code infraction is noticed, students will need to remedy the infraction by getting replacement clothes via parent or using loaner clothes. Students will lose recess until the infraction is remedied. Repeated violators may receive further consequences. Parents are contacted about all dress code violations. If there are family circumstances that are interfering with complying with our uniform policy, please bring it to attention of our administration. Finally, our dress code policy is not intended to negatively affect students’ rights to religious expression.
The following guidelines apply to all regular school activities:
● Shirts may be polo style (no logos), oxford, turtle neck or Peter Pan collar.
● Colors: TK through 5th grade colors are navy blue or white; 6th -8th grade colors are solid navy, white, or red.
● Undershirts may not be visible through uniforms shirts. No layering of shirts of any kind.
● Shirts may not be tapered by knotting the sweatshirt in the back.
● Options include long khaki pants (Navy or khaki), khaki colored jeans, capris, shorts, skorts, skirts, and jumpers. Pants and shorts can either be plain front or pleated with straight or elastic waists. Skorts, skirts, and jumpers are plain with a few pleats or elastic at the waist. Cargo pants/skirts/shorts/skorts and corduroy do not meet the approved guidelines, nor do items with multiple pockets, multiple (3 or more) buckles, multiple zippers, etc. Avoid items labeled “cargo” and Dickies.
● Shorts, skorts, skirts and jumpers MUST be longer than the fingertips, when the arm is held hanging down the side.
● The best shoes for school are athletic shoes or sturdy leather shoes. We discourage students from wearing fancy/expensive dress shoes which are usually not sturdy enough for school wear.
● For safety reasons, closed-toed shoes only may be worn. All shoes must have at least one strap that goes around the heel. Flip-flop sandals are not permitted.
● P.E. DAYS: On a student’s P.E. day in grades 6 through 8, shoes must be athletic shoes. Students may wish to keep a spare pair of athletic shoes at school just for P.E. purposes.
● Socks are to be a solid navy blue, white, khaki or red (middle school students only).
● If girls wear nylons or tights, they too must be solid blue, white, red or flesh colored.
● Long, athletic, stretch leggings are not permitted under skirts, skorts, or shorts.
● Colors for grades K-5 include white, khaki, navy blue, and the navy/white plaid.
● Colors for grades 6-8 include white, khaki, navy blue, red and the red/white/navy plaid.
Only uniform sweatshirts may be worn in the classrooms. Uniform sweatshirts include Twin Rivers Charter School logo hoodies, school field trip related sweatshirts and solid navy blue and white sweatshirts (middle school students may also wear solid red sweatshirts). Non-uniform sweatshirts may be worn on the playground as long as they do not violate any other part of the uniform policy. Sweatshirts may not be tapered by knotting the sweatshirt in the back.
Coats and winter jackets are not subject to the uniform policy but they must be removed when the student is indoors, and must be free of any depiction of guns, violence, profanity, advertisements, alcohol, drugs, vulgar terms or pictures, or negative individual and/or group activity.
Accessories used to contribute, in a secondary manner to an outfit are prohibited.
FREE DRESS DAY:
Free dress days are typically the third Wednesday each month, as it coincides with our School Board Meeting dates. On free dress days, students may wear a uniform or free dress, but not a combination of the two. Modest attire should be worn at school. From within this category the students may not wear the following:
● Short shorts, skirts, or skorts. They are not allowed if they are shorter than fingertips, when the arms is held hanging down the side.
● Halter tops.
● Tank tops which are cut low under the arms or expose the navel, shirts with spaghetti straps (thinner than 2 inches). All tops must reach the top of the pant/skirt with no skin showing.
● Tops cut too low in the front or back.
● T-shirts depicting violence, guns, drugs, alcohol, profanity, vulgar terms or pictures.
● Clothing such as over-sized pants or cutoffs with knee-length white socks, jewelry, or hairstyle perceived as a gang symbol or affiliation.
● Pants with holes in them or patches on them.
● Aerobic style stretch clothing.
● Pajama pants, shirts, shoes.
● Exposed undergarments.
● Hats or scarves may be worn outside only.
FRIDAY TRCS SPIRIT DAYS:
Each Friday, is spirit day and we ask that students wear either blue denim and a TRCS spirit shirt or their regular uniform.
If an article of clothing is questionable, please bring additional clothing which is not questionable. Check with staff prior to allowing him/her to wear the item.
Students that habitually violate the uniform policy will be subject to further discipline.